Cetacean distribution in the South Atlantic and South Pacific Ocean (AR-OBIS)
Latest version published by ArOBIS Centro Nacional Patagónico on Nov 17, 2016 ArOBIS Centro Nacional Patagónico
Database containing published information from scientific papers and reports of cetaceans in the Atlantic Ocean, Magellanic region and South Pacific Ocean. Different records encompassing counting, sighting and stranding programs, personal communications with trained individuals, photographs, unpublished abstracts from meetings, books newspaper articles, and specimen collections from academic institutions and museums. The oldest records were accepted by the authors when the documentation and synonymy were reviewed. Distribution at near shore waters of open coast sheltered fjords, bays and river mouths. Peripheral records from farther offshore include reported sightings in Malvinas/Falkland Islands, Drake Passage and the South Shetland islands.
The data in this occurrence resource has been published as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A), which is a standardized format for sharing biodiversity data as a set of one or more data tables. The core data table contains 1,801 records.
This IPT archives the data and thus serves as the data repository. The data and resource metadata are available for download in the downloads section. The versions table lists other versions of the resource that have been made publicly available and allows tracking changes made to the resource over time.
Download the latest version of this resource data as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A) or the resource metadata as EML or RTF:
|Data as a DwC-A file||download 1,801 records in English (78 KB) - Update frequency: unknown|
|Metadata as an EML file||download in English (12 KB)|
|Metadata as an RTF file||download in English (12 KB)|
The table below shows only published versions of the resource that are publicly accessible.
How to cite
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Reyes L (2015): Cetacean distribution in the South Atlantic and South Pacific Ocean (AR-OBIS). v1.8. ArOBIS Centro Nacional Patagónico. Dataset/Occurrence. http://arobis.cenpat-conicet.gob.ar:8081/resource?r=arobis-cetaceans&v=1.8
Researchers should respect the following rights statement:
The publisher and rights holder of this work is ArOBIS Centro Nacional Patagónico. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial (CC-BY-NC) 4.0 License.
This resource has been registered with GBIF, and assigned the following GBIF UUID: 83fc8030-f762-11e1-a439-00145eb45e9a. ArOBIS Centro Nacional Patagónico publishes this resource, and is itself registered in GBIF as a data publisher endorsed by Ocean Biogeographic Information System.
Occurrence; whales; dolphins; stranding; sightings; Southwest Atlantic ocean; Southeast Pacific Ocean; nearshore; offshore; porpoises; toothed
Who created the resource:
Who can answer questions about the resource:
Who filled in the metadata:
|Bounding Coordinates||South West [-63.5, -174], North East [-3.683, -3]|
|Living Time Period||1883-2005|
Platform: Aircraft; FIELD SURVEYS; ZODIACS; FIELD INVESTIGATION. Instrument: GPS RECEIVERS; Telescopes; GILLNETS; BINOCULAR.
|Quality Control||A review before 1976 encompasses opportunistic findings, stranding, and sightings at sea and from shore. Samplings, field surveys and stranding programs focused on different taxonomy groups were develop more regularly since 1980.|
Method step description:
- Cristián de Haro, J. and Iñiguez, A. M. 1997. Rep. Int. Whal. Comm. 47. De Olivera Santos, M. C.; Siciliano, S.; Pacheco de Souza, S. and Altamayer Pizzorno, J. L. 2001. Occurrence of southern right whales (Eubalaena australis) along southeastern Brazil. J. Cetacean Res. Manage. (Special ISSUE) 2, 153-156.
- Goodall, R. N. P.; Galeazzi, A. R. and Lichter, A. A. 1988. Exploitation of small cetaceans off Argentina 1979-1986. Rep. Int. Whal. Comm. 38.
- Goodall, R. N. P.; de Haro, J. C.; Fraga, F; Iñiguez, M. A. and Norris, K. S.. 1997. Sighting and behaviour of Peal`s Dolphins, Lagenorhynchus australis, with notes on Dusky Dolphins, L. obscurus, off southernmost south America. REP. INT. WHAL. CONMMN 47, 757-775.
- Goodall, R. N. P.; Norris, K. S.; Schevill, W. E.; Fraga, F.; Praderi, R.; Iñiguez, M. A. and de Haro, C.. 1997. Review and update on the biology of Peale`s dolphin, Lagenorhynchus australis. REP. INT. WHAL. COMMN 47, 777-796.
- Goodall, R. N. P.; Galeazzi, A. R.; Leatherwood, S.; Miller, K. W.; Cameron, I. S.; Kastelein, R. K. and Sobral, A. P.. 1998. Studies of Commerson's Dolphins, Cephalorhynchus commersonii, off Tierra del Fuego, 1976-1984, with a Review of Information on the Species in the South Atlantic. Rep. Int. Whal. Commn. (Special issue 9)
- Goodall, R. N. P. and Macnie, S. V. 1998. Sightings of Pilot Whales off South America South of 30º S: A review of data to 1988. Rep. Int. Whal. Commn 48.
- Greig, A. B.; Secchi, E. R.; Zerbini, A. N.; and Dalla Rosa, L. 2001, Stranding events of southern right whale, Eubalaena australis, in southern Brazil. J. Cetacean Res. Manage. (Special ISSUE) 2, 157-179.
- Reyes, L. M. 2006. Cetaceans of Central Patagonia, Argentina. Aquatic Mammals 2006, 32(1), 20-30, DOI 10.1578/AM.32.1.2006.20.
- Rowntree, V. J.; Payne, R. S. and Schell, D. M. 2001. Changing patterns of habitat use by southern right whales (Eubalaena australis) on their nursery ground at Península Valdés, Argentina, and in their long-range movements. J. Cetacean Res. Manage. (Special ISSUE) 2, 133-143.
- LESCRAUWAET, A. C.; GIBBONS, J.; GUZMAN, L. and SCHIAVINI, A.. 2000. Abundance estimation of Commersons dolphin in the eastern area of the Strait of Magallan-Chile. Rev. chil. hist. nat. v.73 n.3 Santiago.
- Capella, J.; Yerko Vilina and Gibbons, J.. 1999. OBSERVATION OF CETACEANS AT ISLA CHAÑARAL, AND NEW RECORDS AT THE HUMBOLDT PENGUIN NATIONAL RESERVE, NORTHERN CHILE. Estud. Oceanol. 18: 57-64.
- Hückstädt, L. A.. 2005. New records of cetaceand for the VIII Region, Chile (1997 to 1999). Gayana 69(2): 291-299.
- Olavarria, C.; Aguayo-Lobo, A. and Bernal, R.. 2001. Distribution of Risso´s dolphin (Grampus griseus, Cuvier 1812) in Chilean waters. Revista de Biología Marina y Oceanografía 36 (1):111-116.
- Madeira Di Beneditto, A. P.. 2003. Interactions between gillnet fisheries and small cetaceans in northern Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: 2001-2002. LAJAM 2(2): 79-86.
- Moreno, I. B.; Danilewicz, D.; Borges-Martins, M.; Ott, P. H.; Caon, G. and Oliveira, L. R.. 2003. Fraser´s dolphin (Lagenodelphis hosei Fraser, 1956) in southern Brazil. LAJAM 2(1): 39-46.
- Hassel, L. B.; Venturotti, A.; de Magalaes, F. A.; Cuenca, S.; Siciliano, S. and Marques, F. F.. 2003. Summer sightings of Dwarf Minke Whale (Balaenoptera acutorostrata) off the eastern coast of Río de Janeiro State, Brazil. LAJAM 2(1): 47-50.
- de Freitas Netto, R. and Araujo Barbosa, L.. 2003. Cetaceans and Fishery interactions along tha Espiritu Santo State, Southeastern Brazil during 1994-2001. LAJAM 2(1): 57-60.
- Moreira de Gurjao, L.; de Andrade Furtado Neto, M. A.; Aguiar dos Santos, R. and Cascon, P.. 2003. Feeding habitat of Marine Tucuxi, Sotalia fluviatilis, at Ceará State, Noertheastern Brazil. LAJAM 2(2): 117-122.
- Bastida, R.; Rodríguez,D.; Desojo, J. and Rivero, L.. 2001. LA PRESENCIA DEL DELFIN LISTADO, Stenella coeruleoalba (Meyen, 1833), EN EL MAR ARGENTINO. Mastozoología Neotropical / J. Neotrop. Mammal. 8(2):111-127.
- Gibbons, J.; Capella, J. J. and Valladares, C.. 2003. Rediscovery of a humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) feeding ground in the Strait of Magellan, Chile. J. CETACEAN RES. MANAGE. 5(2):203-208.
- CHILE. PROGRESS REPORT ON CETACEAN RESEARCH, April 2004 to March 2005, WITH STATISTICAL DATA FOR THE SEASON 2004/05. Departamento de Mar - Dirección de Medio Ambiente. Ministerio de relaciones exteriore de Chile.
marine, harvested by iOBIS